High sensitivity as a superpower

By Irina | ForeverSunday

February 6, 2017

high sensitivity, HSP

High sensitivity superpower

I figured out pretty early on as a child that what I saw and felt was different from what most others perceived. Things were more intense, more colourful, and abstract concepts and emotions felt more tangible. I am what is called a highly sensitive person (HSP).

It’s nothing to be worried about, I am ok…. About 20% of all people have some degree of higher sensitivity. That doesn’t mean that the other 80% are insensitive, it’s just that we have a different filter.

what is my dosha

Free What is your dosha workbook 

Sign up to get started with the free 8 page Ayurveda dosha workbook:  take the dosha quiz and get nutrition and exercise recommendations based on your type!

So how do you know if you are a highly sensitive person?

If one of your parents is highly sensitive, you have a bigger chance of also being an HSP as it is hereditary. There are lots of tests out on the internet, but here are some of the traits that are common to people with high sensitivity.

  • Empathy

    Empathy is your middle name. You are more considerate to other people, as it is easy for you to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. You value politeness and conscientiousness more than anyone else.

  • Injustice

    You can’t stand to witness injustice. As an HSP you value truth, honesty and integrity, and you simply don’t understand it if other people don’t live by that.

  • Intuition

    You are very perceptive and intuitive. You immediately grasp moods and relationships between people when you walk into a room.

  • Senses

    All your senses seem more developed and open, leading to both exquisite sensory experiences and feelings of being overwhelmed by them. Bright lights, loud noises, prickly clothing, mosquito bites and bad smells can send you into a rage.

  • Beauty

    You appreciate beauty more than others. You may be very touched by music, art, nature or another human being.

  • Suffering

    You take on a lot of suffering of other people and animals, and it is hard to let go. You can physically feel someone else’s pain.

  • Imagination

    You have a lot of imagination and you are probably a creative person. You often come up with original ideas or out-of-the-box solutions.

  • Meaning

    You need to have a sense of purpose and are always looking for (the) meaning in (of) your life. Your conversations and relationships are deep and meaningful. Nothing makes you happier than to connect with someone on a deeper level!

  • Introspection

    As a matter of fact, the most meaningful relationship you can have is probably with yourself! Connecting with yourself is not just an afterthought. Self-reflection can keep you entertained for hours.

  • Alone time

    As a result, you don’t always thrive in a big group of people. Too many energies, too much sensory input! You need more time for yourself and you probably enjoy solitary activities such as reading, making puzzles and arts & crafts more than big events and parties. Not that you are not social, you just like both and need the one more than the other.

As a child I often felt out of place with other people (and to be honest, I sometimes still do). I cannot begin to explain what travelling does for me (and to me!). But I learn more and more to recognise the signs when I get overwhelmed and to not feel guilty for taking time for myself. Because only when I look after myself I can look after people the way I like to – with my superpowers!

About the author

Irina is a certified Ayurvedic coach and yoga teacher in the Hatha and Traditional Tantra traditions (500+hr RYT). Irina has been teaching and writing about Ayurveda and Yoga, hosting retreats and offering online classes, workshops and consultations since 2015, when she founded ForeverSunday Ayurveda and Yoga.

You might also like

  • Hi

    I think am also an HSP….I’m not happy having this..bcoz I have been taken granted always .. It hurts me…. How to come out of this pl help and few tips to bed happy for what I am !


  • {"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

    Be the first to know about upcoming retreats, workshops and blog posts!